What I Learned Wednesday

Books

For a twist on the traditional What I Ate Wednesday, I wanted to give you some insight into what a day in the life of a nutrition student is like. I decided to highlight my classes from Monday because I only have one class on Tuesday and spent most of the day doing homework.

My brain is mush this week because I have a giant certification exam (ServSafe Exam) next Monday for my Foodservice class and I’ve been studying for it whenever I have an ounce of free time. This is a test all about food safety- (Example: cooking specific food to the correct temperatures, foodborne illnesses and the bacteria/viruses that cause them, etc). Don’t be surprised if I go into hiding until after I’ve taken it. Must. Keep. Studying.

7:30 a.m.- Human Nutrition Assessment Lab is cancelled this week so I slept in! Normally my Monday starts with a 5:00 a.m. wakeup call when I have lab.

9:00 a.m. – Shower, eat breakfast, pack my lunch, etc.

9:45 a.m.- Leave for my commute downtown to class

10:30 a.m.- NTR 450: Nutrition in the Life Cycle;  Today we learned about metabolic syndrome, obesity, and diabetes as it relates to pregnancy and fertility; We also met with our groups for our upcoming “Controversial Topics”  presentation (my group is doing dietary supplements during pregnancy: good or bad?)

11:40 a.m.- Get out of class a couple of minutes early and I just happen to be walking by Starbucks on the way to my next one! Grab a latte for the walk there.

11:50 a.m.- Get to my next class early, eat my lunch of carrots, trail mix, and sandwich consisting of almond butter & strawberry preserves (the best combination in my opinion!)

12:00 p.m.- NTR 445: Management of Foodservice Systems; Learn about our Capstone project in more detail. We will be developing a menu, ordering ingredients, forecasting costs & sale prices, developing a production schedule for the kitchen, marketing our menu, and evaluating outcomes through surveys/evaluations. It’s going to be a busy semester!

12:50 p.m.- Walk to my next class in the beautiful sunshine!

1:00 p.m.- Next class doesn’t start for half an hour, so I eat more snacks, study for ServSafe, and chat with colleagues in my classroom

1:30 p.m.NTR 350: Nutrition Counseling; Learn about various theories of learning and how to develop effective learning outcomes when formulating lesson plans and how to assess these outcomes.

2:20 p.m.- Class is done for the day! Walk to my car, head back to my neck of the woods

3:00 p.m.- Go to Starbucks (again) before yoga to kill some time. Study some more and pick up a greek yogurt with honey for a snack (my favorite).

4:00 p.m.- Hot yoga! Have to sweat out all those toxins.

5:15 p.m.- Arrive home, walk the dog, shower, etc.

6:00 p.m.- Make dinner consisting of giant salad and greek orzo pasta salad. Eat dinner while studying ServSafe.

7:00 p.m.- Study more ServSafe. In case you were wondering, the minimum internal cooking temperature to prevent the growth of pathogens for stuffed lobster is 165°F (74°C) for 15 seconds. See, you learn something new everyday!

9:00 p.m.- Hit a wall, decide to call it a night and watch a few episodes of House Hunters and Sister Wives (guilty pleasure).

10:00 p.m.- Bedtime (made it to bed early today for once!)

What did you learn this week?

Click to follow me on: Bloglovin’Twitter, & Facebook

17 Responses to What I Learned Wednesday

1. I love “day in the life” posts. Sounds like you are a really busy lady, but some of your classes sound so interesting! Keep us posted on what the final word is about the dietary supplements during pregnancy! Also, very jealous that you’re walking anywhere in the sunshine. I haven’t seen a nice sunny day in sooo long!

• Kathryn says:

No prob! I figure if I don’t have the creativity and/or time this semester to write new posts I could at least let you knw what I’m doing in class from time to time. I know I would always wonder about what nutrition students learn about so I thought it might be fun to share! And walking to class in the sunshine isn’t so bad either ;)

2. Isn’t it amazing when you hit the pillow by 10pm? I usually can’t get myself to bed until 10:30-11pm and then it takes me a while to fall asleep. I think that’s why I have so much trouble getting up early to work out before I go into work.

• Kathryn says:

YES! It is SUCH an accomplishment for me if I can get to bed before 10:00 because it rarely happens. I have really early classes this semester (which I haven’t had in a while and I’m not used to) and it’s been a struggle forcing myself to get my homework done earlier to get to bed on time!

3. Thanks for sharing. I always enjoy reading day-in-the-life posts. Sounds like you had a busy day, but it was full of good things. Good luck on your ServSafe test. :)

• Kathryn says:

Thanks Dana! It was much easier for me to write about my busy class day, as opposed to Tuesday in which I would have nothing else to say besides the fact that I sat at my desk and did homework for most of the day! This way I can pretend my life is interesting ;)

4. ahh, i can relate so much to this post. reminds me of my days as a nutrition student. sounds VERY familiar: starbucks, servsafe, carrots and trail mix :)

• Kathryn says:

Isn’t it fun?! I often come home wondering “what on earth did I get myself into?!” But I still love it despite all the craziness!

5. Cindy says:

I just got recertified in servsafe! Not a bad test. Good luck!!

• Kathryn says:

Thank you! I’m not worried about passing it, but the grade we get on it counts as our grade for our first test in the class so I’m trying to study more for it. Easier said than done though ;)

6. This week I’ve been learning about the 4th Amendment, yay law school! :) Good luck studying, I can definitely relate, even though the tests are different <3

• Kathryn says:

I love hearing about what other people learn! Even if it’s a subject that I know absolutely nothing about (like law)! haha :)

7. I love posts like this! That 10:30 class actually sounds interesting to me! Also–YES House Hunters! I love it and could watch it for hours. And by could I mean that I totally have. No shame here!

• Kathryn says:

I love that you are a House Hunters addict as well! I love real estate and I to see what houses are like in other cities. I love all the HGTV classics!

8. I looove being in bed by 10 :) you went to Starbucks more on Monday than I’ve ever been there in my life – never! This week I learned about the Roman Empire in 500 BC… kind of boring but it’s better than China which was last month!

• Kathryn says:

Hahah, maybe twice was too much. But I didn’t go at all today, it’s all about balance, right? ;) Oh yes, I would much rather learn about the Roman Empire than China any day. After I went to Rome I had a new found appreciation for all the history there. That’s a fascinating period in time (in my opinion- but that’s because I like history!)

9. LOVE this post:) Sounds like awesome eats AND it also sounds like a busy but balanced day! Happy WIAW!