Ditch the Potatoes! The Best (Baked) Zucchini Fries Recipe

zucchini2

Have you ever been to a restaurant and ordered the most amazing appetizer or meal and thought to yourself  “I wonder if I can make this at home?” Since I am one of those weird food people, this happens to me more than I care to admit.

Hands down, one of my favorite restaurants in the valley of the sun is Zinburger. You’re probably thinking, that’s weird, I had no idea you liked burgers so much. Well, I don’t. This place is just that good. Plus, I’m head over heels for their Veggie Burger & Farm Salad.

I’m also completely in love with their zucchini fries. The other day I had an intense craving for these (such a bizarre thing to crave!) So, I took matters into my own hands and decided to try to re-create them at home. I was pleasantly surprised at just how good these turned out. Naturally, I made the recipe healthier by baking instead of frying.

zucchini3

zucchini4

Directions:

1. Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees and line a cookie sheet with tin foil and set aside. In a bowl, crack open the eggs and briefly whisk them.

2. On a plate or tray, pour the bread crumbs and mix with the shredded parmesan, oregano, garlic, and add pepper to taste (if you desire).

3. Cut the zucchini into thin strips and dip in egg mixture.

4. Roll the zucchini in the bread crumbs and parmesan and place on the foil-lined sheet.

5. Bake for 20-25 minute or until the bread crumbs begin to brown.

6. Serve with warm marinara and enjoy!

Have you ever had zucchini fries?

Follow along on: Bloglovin’Twitter, & Facebook

19 Responses to Ditch the Potatoes! The Best (Baked) Zucchini Fries Recipe

1. Chelsea says:

These look amazing! And so crispy!

2. Pingback: Oven “Fried” Zucchini Sticks | Living Too Large

3. These look awesome Kathryn! I made asparagus fries a few weeks back and I’ve had no desire to go back to potatoes since :)

4. Pingback: use for bread crumbs

5. Pingback: Baked Zucchini Sticks | momeefriendsli

6. Pingback: 14 Must-Try Recipes for 2014 | Hello Healthy

7. Gina says:

I don’t see a serving size for this recipe. Looks delicious but would like to know how many I can have.
    Thanks.

8. Heather says:

Thank you so much! These were so easy and delicious that it will be added to our cooking routine. :)

9. Nancy schvertt says:

What is the serving size?

10. Kathy OHalloran says:

These sound absolutely fabulous. Will certainly be trying these out, and feeling very healthy with it ….

11. John Brennan says:

According to myfitnesspal.com, this recipe is 141 calories per serving (unfortunately, they don’t tell you how much per serving) http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/2014/01/14-must-try-recipes-2014?utm_source=mfp&utm_medium=email&utm_content=14recipes&utm_campaign=mar14newsletter

So… I did the math! Using Google to get me the calories in the ingredients, I got the following: 2 zucchini = 66; two eggs = 144; bread crumbs = 213; parmesan cheese = 108; oregano = 5 and no calories for the salt. The result is 537. When you divide this by the 141 that myfitnesspal says is the calories per serving, you get about 4 servings. This would be 1/2 a zucchini per serving (obviously!). I image that you could make about 6 “fries” per half zucchini.

Can’t wait to try these!

12. Mary says:

Thank you John for doing the math! These look great but I was frustrated they didn’t give one of the most important parts of information.

13. Monica says:

Love your recipes, but, yes, I would enjoy them so much more knowing the calories per serving!!!!! Very important to me.

14. Sheryl says:

I make these in a similar fashion but slicing in 1/4 inch pieces and use low fat milk to bind the rest of the ingredients and cook for the same time. Then I’m a sucker for ranch dressing, but keeping calories in mind I can make this a meal rather than just a side dish.

15. Ginna says:

They did have the nutrition value it was under the item before you clicked on it.

Nutrition Facts (per serving): Calories: 141; Fat: 6g; Saturated Fat: 4g; Cholesterol: 90mg; Sodium: 230mg; Carbohydrate: 14g; Fiber: 2g; Protein: 10g – See more at: http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/2014/01/14-must-try-recipes-2014?

16. Mary says:

Thanks, I’m not sure where you got the nutritional information, but it’s not on my page anywhere. I’m glad it matched up with what John came up with.

17. Squirrlye says:

I checked on my food list, it says; for 8 fries, it’s 130 calories, BUT the carbs are 17! That’s a LOT of Carbs! Are we not suppose to keep the carb count down in order to lose weight?